Thursday, August 13, 2015

You Are It

I make the mistake each and every day of believing societies standards of beauty.

When I get a pimple, I think I should hide in my room until it goes away because people will think I'm gross. When I notice that my pants fit a little tighter, I convince myself I don't need lunch. I weigh myself probably once a week and feel ashamed when it's gone up. When I'm having a bad hair day, I question why everything is wrong with me.

There are so many days where I'm embarrassed of my looks or my clothes. We're taught from such a young age that the more you look like Barbie, the more people will like you. Beauty comes only from the outside.

And lately, I've been trying really hard to get all of this out of my head and be confident in who I am.

I listened to a podcast not long ago that said, "Stop looking in the mirror for hours trying to fix what's not broken. When you look in the mirror, THAT is the standard of beauty." (Best podcast I've ever listened to. Search United High School Podcast and then find the one called Behind Enemy Lines)

You are the standard of beauty. Yes, you.

God called YOUR name no matter what the story that surrounds your birth is, you ARE NOT a mistake. You are one of God's masterpieces. YOU are a masterpiece.

So start acting like it. You're beautiful on the outside, you are worth so much more than you think. Wear your favorite outfit, leave your hair how you like it, put your favorite perfume on and strut your stuff like you were made to do.

The same way you look at other girls, wishing you looked like them, they're doing the same to you. You are created by the same God as the sunset, the flowers, the mountains, and yet you are still His greatest creation and it saddens Him to know that you are putting yourself down for the way you are. He created you to be exactly the way you are, perfect.

Treat yourself and view yourself how you would want your little sister to view herself.

Love you the way you are because there are so many people who love you the way you are. All of your little quirks, your fears, your bad hair days, your silly laugh, your ugly cry. They love you for all of it. And so does God.

It's a process, but I believe that together we can work towards confidence and self love. You have a choice every day to resist the lies that you aren't good enough, aren't pretty enough, aren't smart enough. It's a battle, but you have the power to win, especially with Him by your side.


"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. " Psalm 139:14

"You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you." Song of Solomon 4:7

"Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life." Isaiah 43:4


I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No comments:

Post a Comment