Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Past Is The Past For A Reason

There are a lot of times where I kind of put myself in the position to be hurting. I look at old pictures just so that my heart can break because things aren't the same anymore. I check people's accounts when I know I shouldn't. I mean I guess I deserve it, so I'm always left with a feeling of shame and disappointment in myself.

There are so many times where I think that the people who have left my life in the past will make me happier if they come back into it. It never works that way. I always end up feeling more lost, more incapable of being without them, more confused.

I consciously make the decision to look at the old pictures, to look at their twitters, etc., even though I know it's just going to leave me with hurt. It's almost like I crave to hurt because I want to know that whatever I experienced with these people by my side was real.

I don't need to do that, though, and neither do you, because I guarantee you every few days/weeks/months, you go back and look or think about things you know you shouldn't because it'll just hurt you. God took those people out of our lives for a reason. He doesn't want you to hurt. ("For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11) He has better plans for you without these people. They may have been holding you back, leading you on the wrong path and separating you from God.

We are better and deserve better than how these pictures, accounts, people make us feel. God gave us self control ("for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self control." 2 Timothy 1:7) so it's not like we don't have what it takes to resist the urges to look.

When we feel like we need to check up on other people, we're trying to fill an empty spot with someone, when the only person who can fill it is God. When there's a void, turn to Him. Pray about it, listen to worship music*, turn to the community that pushes you towards God. You will find yourself much more joyful and complete. I promise you.

He loves you. He knows you deserve better. You are worth it.

"and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:19

"The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love." Psalm 33:5

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

*If you need some good worship music artists to listen to, here's a start:

  • Hillsong UNITED
  • Elevation Worship
  • Bethel Music
  • All Sons and Daughters
  • Jesus Culture
  • HOUSEFIRES II
  • Mosaic MSC
  • Tow'rs

No comments:

Post a Comment